The collected detritus and flotsam from my internet browsing ends up collated at www.beta57.com. Here’s what I’ve been linking to recently:
- The Extraordinary Rarity of Whistleblowing
- PCC Elections: When the facts change, I cover my arse
- Stumbling and Mumbling: Support the undeserving poor
succinct as ever.
- NYPD officers beat homeless man to a pulp – Boing Boing
- Food Trucks Are Increasingly Serious Terrorism Threat
- 9-Billion-Pixel Photo of Milky Way’s Center Is Full of Stars | Wired
- Portable Wind Turbine Emerges from a Shipping Container | Inhabitat
The level of surprising innovation in the alt energy field is always fun to watch.
- Blood & Treasure: in other words
“[David Milliband & Co are] rather in the position of juche study groups in Stoke-on-Trent, except that they’re looking for the radical centre. It may be partially down to the fact that the elder Miliband and co are the part of the Coalition that doesn’t happen to be in the government; that they agree with much of what it is doing but wish they were doing it themselves. They can never actually say this, but they can talk in highly general terms about bold reform of the state, with the usual balancers about compassion and community.”
- In Praise of Apathy | Foreign Policy
- ‘Mother Mary Was Essentially Raped,’ Mourdock Says While Digging Self Into Deeper Hole | The Onion – America’s Finest News Source
At press time, multiple male Senate candidates in their 60s remained divided between those who believe pregnancies resulting from rape are biologically impossible and those who believe they are the divine will of God.
- ProtoHouse: A Cantilevered, Fibrous Home Created With a 3D Printer
- Come on people now, Smile on your banker
Because to people like Tillman, every slight they suffer is the equivalent of the great injustices of history. If you can’t see that, you’re just a wealthist monster.
- Indian press: Why did nobody mention India during Obama-Romney debate? | FP Passport
- No 5k for the biggest killer, so does anyone really believe it’s a killer?
- "not every person working with drug abusers supports legalization, but I have yet to meet one who would rat out an abuser to the cops."
- "an infantile conception of both governance and citizenship"
- Why Free Markets Accommodate Speculation and Lead to Disequilibrium
And as this bizarre myth has gathered pace over the past 30 or so years and politicians have worked as hard as they can to turn our world into one dominated by such markets, is it any wonder that we see around us only chaos, instability and disorder? In trying to turn various sectors of the economy into an approximation of the neoclassical market policymakers have merely summoned up the daemonic forces of speculative finance. When you crown anarchy is it any wonder you get a lunatic for a king?
- "There is a trade-off between democracy and good economic policy-making."
- Obama moves to make the War on Terror permanent | Greenwald
- New York Court Rules Lap Dances Not Exempt Artistic Performances
” The closeness of the decision illustrates just how much it rests on opinions about what is and isn’t art. While there is certainly artistic merit to the performance component of stripping, it clearly falls into the same category of performance as bands in clubs or standup comedy rather than the opera. That is mostly a function of production values (low) and the allowable level of improvisation (high). The tax exemption could be seen as a value judgment, although the language in the tax code isn’t specific enough to infer or clarify one. And that’s precisely what the dissenting opinion asserted: the vagueness of the language means a lot of potential value judgements about which art should be exempt”
This digest is produced every Mon/Wed/Fri morning. Enjoy it with your coffee!
Digest powered by RSS Digest